Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday Track Day and Some Fun ;)

Alright, before we get to the fun, lemme get the business out of the way. I repeated last week's track workout, but this time I ran it on the track at Kaneohe Bay (where we live). This track is a traditional quarter-miler and is like running on a gravel road. It was kind of loose in some places, and I could feel that my traction wasn't so great, but that still doesn't excuse my poor performance. Here are my 800 splits and the accompanying music that was blastin' in my noggin:

1 - 3:28 {Holla Back Girl - Gwen Stefani}

2 - 3:33 {Sunday Morning - No Doubt}

3 - 3:40 {The Sweet Escape - Gwen Stefani}

4 - 3:47 {Hey Baby - No Doubt}*

I had a 2-minute rest period in between each 800 and of course, a 10 minute warm-up and cool down (that's almost exactly how long it takes me to run to the track/back home from the track


*(Notice the theme for the day? There's a reason behind that. Read on...)

Ugh. I felt so good on the first 2. I was flying. Solid 7 minute mile pace and I wasn't even hurting so bad. What happened? No idea. What's worse is that my 400 splits on my 3rd & 4th were both right on the money at 1:45. I guess it's not so bad, since I was still way faster than the goal of an 8:00 mile pace, but there's nothing worse than having a bad workout. Except of course, not working out at all, and that's what almost happened.

My Day
It was one of those crappy days. It was Tuesday after a long weekend, the dogs kept me up pretty much all night, I had a less than enjoyable dr. appt in the afternoon (ladies, you understand this), the world was not on my side. How much did I want to go run? And on a track, no less! There's hardly words to describe my lack of enthusiasm. But, I felt like I had slacked off over the weekend and needed to get this dreaded workout knocked out. So I decided I needed to make it fun. So, I thought I'd try to get a little glam:



This is me with freshly applied mascara, eye liner, and lipstick to go on my run. You know what? It worked! Somewhere in there when I was getting "dolled up" I started to get kind of excited about my run. Crazy, huh? It made it fun, and I stopped thinking about how tired I was, how not in the mood I was and how unexcited I was about my run for long enough to get me out of the door and get moving. Most of you out there know that getting out the door and moving is half the battle. Once I had momentum going, it wasn't bad at all. It was SUPER hot even at 5:30 this afternoon when I headed out my front door, so by the time I made it to the track I'm sure all of it had been licked or sweated off. But I made it there and I did my workout and even though it wasn't what I wanted it to be, I can still say that I did it. And that's what it's about. I'll have more crappy workouts, but I guess you know what they say: "A bad day running is still better than a good day doing anything else"


Ok, no one says that. A bad day running sucks. Hell, sometimes a good day running sucks. Whatever...my point is, if you can make something completely dreadful just a little bit lovely, it might help you make it through whatever said dreadful task is. Moving on:

The Need For Speed:



Don't these glasses just make me look faster? MuM sent them to me at my request that she use her sweet sunglasses hook-up to get me some super light-weight, sporty, speedy, polarized running glasses. She sent me these. They are Smith "Baseline Square" in Dark Ale. They make me happy. They are ridiculously light-weight - to the point where I forgot they were even on. If you're in the market for a new pair of athletic sunglasses, these come highly recommended by this gal. If I'm not mistaken, the lenses can even be changed out for ones of a different color, if you are so inclined. Pretty sweet.

I'll leave you with this parting glimpse at another one of my running heroines. I can't believe I didn't mention her when I was writing about glam running before. She was the original glam girl on the track. Nevermind that she was probably using all sorts of steroids (they didnt' test back in the 80s like they do now). She's still B.A. And amazing. And stunning. And fast.

Flo Jo!







If Florence Griffith Joyner wears lipstick on a track well, then, it's alright with me!

1 comment:

  1. Although she is the namesake of my nick name, I can't recall ever having seen a close-up photo of FloJo. She is supah sassy/pretty! Thanks for sharing those photos.

    Also, another "yes girl!" for getting yourself up and out there on the track again. The tip of doing little things to psych yourself up is a great one, and I'll start using that soon.

    ReplyDelete