Thursday, June 10, 2010

It Was Sublime

Greetings from Zion! I made it into Salt Lake City safe and sound last night and am now happily hiding out on a couch, about to take (another) nap and working to get past this nasty hangover! Ugh...I'm not as young as I once was. After my mini "welcome home" party, I am definitely feeling worse for the wear.

But, I have some happiness to share with you all today! My last workout before I left Hawaii was the dreaded Tuesday Track Day. You all know that Tuesdays are by far my least favorite workout of the week. This past Tuesday, however, something was a little different. I added another 800 to my workout* and I was nervous because I had yet to be consistent even when I was only doing 4x800 and I didn't know how well I was going to do. And how did I do?

1 - 3:34

2 - 3:36

3 - 3:35

4 - 3:37

5 - 3:36


I was so proud of myself! Not only did my times get faster from last week, but I was able to stay consistent! I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I think some of the contributing factors were that 1) I took pressure off myself to hit the 3:30 mark. I just told myself to run hard and stay consistent and that that was more important than my time. Funny how when I changed my frame of mind, the time stayed where I wanted it to anyway! 2) I was very, very well hydrated which I think I hadn't been the last few times I was on the track. 3) I put Sublime on shuffle on the sexy yellow iPod instead of my usual highly motivational tunes. Maybe hearing Bradley sing about 40s and weed kept me calmer? Who knows! But it was amazing to feel like I was showing improvement. Getting a sense of accomplishment is very motivating.

I was travelling all day yesterday so wasn't able to run, and I'm definitely in no shape today, but tomorrow I completely intend to get a good, hilly run in up here in the thin air. I've got MuM and lots of cousins around so I should be able to find a running partner to huff and puff with me. I'll let you know how it goes!


*My track days usually go something like this: 10 minute warm up, 5x800 meters with a two minute recovery time between each 800, and a 10 minute cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment