Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Sedentary Life

This Runner's Confession
I'm sitting here right now on my lanai (that's what we call a patio on the rock for you mainlanders) listening to NoShoesRadio.com, drinking my 2nd glass of pink champagne and enjoying the twilight (the natural event, not the book - although I will admit that I enjoy that too. Don't judge.) I just finished my 250 calorie Lean Cuisine microwaveable deliciousness and flipping through the J.Crew catalog that came in the mail today. I am, in a word, content.

I ran on the track earlier today. I had a good little workout, but nothing especially noteworthy. I'll throw up the numbers later. And while I was sitting here, I got to thinking: If I had to pick a word to describe how I feel when I'm running, what would it be? Certainly not "content". And that led me to come to the conclusion that I am a naturally very lazy person (there was a longer stream of thought in there, but that's the end result). If I knew that I could lose weight by watching Mad Men on DVD and eating bacon, I would pick that over Lean Cuisines and running any day. Is that bad? I feel like as a "runner" I should be one of those people who are like "Oh, I have to run every day. Otherwise I go crazy!" but I don't think I am.

I remember when I finished my one and only collegiate season of cross-country. That crazy (and, in my opinion, stupid) coach had us running 70-75 miles a week to train for our weekly 5K race! You can do the math - that's over 10 miles every day for a 3.17 mile race. Stupid. Anyway, the first Monday after our last race weekend I remember thinking "Thank the Lord!!! I don't have to run today! I'm not going to!" And I didn't for 6 months. 6 MONTHS!!! I was just soooo done with it. I almost feel like that's how I'm going to feel after this marathon. Although I hope not. It would be a shame to throw all this training completely away.

ANYway, what I'm trying to confess is this: if my parents weren't runners, and if my mom had bought my ballet pointe shoes instead of Nikes and told me to go run around the block, and if I wasn't kind of good at it (thanks, genetics!), and if I was about 4 inches taller and naturally about 15 lbs lighter, then would I be a runner? I'm going to have to say no. I would eat cheesey bacon fries every day for lunch, drink a bottle of champagne every night (did I mention I'm on glass 3 now?) and enjoy being sedentary.

Is that bad? I'm just being honest. Always full disclosure on the blog.

But...
The flip side of all that is this: my parents are runners & I did grow up with running, Mom did NOT buy me ballet shoes (MuM - I love you and I'm joking -kind of- xo), I am kind of good at putting one foot in front of the other, I'm NOT taller or thinner. So...what's a girl to do? Spin class? Aerobics? Swimming? Vomit, vomit, vomit. I can't see myself doing any of that.

I guess that's why I run. Plus, running always feels GREAT after it's over ;)

Tuesday Track Day
Nothing special today, but it wasn't bad. My body is still recovering from Saturday's long run. I can definitely feel it. I told myself I'd do a one mile warm-up & cool-down and 4x800 and that's what I did. Here are my 800s:

1 - 3:29
2 - 3:28
3 - 3:26
4 - 3:22


Like I said, nothing major, but I did manage to make each one faster than the previous and that says something, right? Anyway, it's the first time I've run since the 15er and so I'll take anything my body is willing to give.

Now that you all know my secret and how lazy I am, I hope you all still love me! I love you, my loyalblog followers. I really am SO glad I started this blog. Since I am naturally disposed to sitting around, your comments and encouragement are super motivating. Thank all of you! Until the next time...xo

3 comments:

  1. I would give so much to just be able to RUN! I can barely jog a 1/2 mile...I know practice, practice, practice but I just wish I could be that kind of person that could go run 3 miles without stopping just like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh,

    I love your determination. That taller, naturally thin girl you spoke of struggles to maintain her weight now that she is getting older and her metabolism is coming to a screeching halt. Her parents did not exercise so it is not ingrained within her. She would rather sit, watch movies, and knit. Her only saving grace is that snacking on cheesy bacon strips would make her ill. Her knees are shot from years of high school track back in the day when coaches didn't care about proper shoes or proper training. Exercise is not a priority in a world driven by children, pets, errands, meetings, chores, life. So run, Ashleigh. Run for that girl who wishes she would have kept running at your age. Run for your future daughters who will need you as an example. Run for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever kickboxed? I love running, but sometimes I feel my muscle tone is lacking :(

    ReplyDelete