Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Most Super of Women



My darling mother is celebrating 50 beautiful years of life today. She'll never admit it, but it's a big deal to her. If anyone asks, she'll say it's just another day - but don't believe her. It's important and it is NOT just another day. It should be a national holiday! My dear MuM has had the most amazing life and it's worth celebrating!

I wish more than anything that I could be in Utah for the festivities today but, sadly, one of the downfalls of living on a tropical island in the middle of the pacific is the logistics and the expense of getting back to civilization regularly. Rest assured, though, we will make up for lost time when I see her in Margaritaville in October. I will also buy a bottle of champagne and drink it in her honor. I may even let her other bebe girl - diddle bebe Gwen - have a glass as well ;)

In the meantime, I will celebrate with this little tribute blog. Happy Birthday, MuM!!! Here's to you!

50 Amazing MuM TidBits
1. Few folks out there have class anymore, but my MuM does.
2. No one ever cooks better than MuM.
3. MuM always knows what to do.
4. MuM gives the best advice - on anything and everything. From removing puppy stains on the floor to what to wear on an interview.
5. She has impeccable taste.
6. She ages oh so gracefully.
7. You know how some girls out there pray that they don't become their mother when they grow up? I pray that I do.
8. She loves like you wouldn't believe.
9. She is SOOOOOO B.A.!! See 10, 11, & 12...
10. She has run 5 - 5!!!!!!! - marathons!
11. Her fastest marathon she ran in 3:20ish. That's around a 7:37 pace. That's incredible, people. Like, beyond amazing.
12. MuM won a sit up contest when I was still just a little girl. She did 750. She would have kept going, but the skin on her lower back had rubbed off. BA!
13. When I mellow out someday, I will be exactly like my MuM ;)
14. She's pretty.
15. She's strong.
16. Her love for Jesus is inspiring.
17. She glows. Inside and out.
18. She loves literature & People Magazine just about equally, I think. Love it.
19. She's a very good letter writer.
20. In fact, she's a good writer PERIOD!
21. When I start grad school this fall, I will still email my essays and papers to my English Major mother who will make them perfect. Guarunteed A.
22. She's FUN!!
23. She has taught me more than I could ever list, but here's a few anyway:
24. She taught me that sometimes (shoot - most times!) the best Friday night is one spent on the couch with a book and our dear friend Kim Crawford.
25. She taught me how to appropriately use apostrophe's (j/k!)
26. She taught me that there are things I will never be able to do, and that's OK.
27. She also taught me to do whatever I am doing well.
28. She taught me that there's magic in a bottle of Chanel No. 5.
29. She taught me about perseverance.
30. She taught me about patience.
31. My MuM can turn bad days into good days.
32. To this day MuM is still my favorite shopping buddy.
33. She's also my favorite running buddy.
34. MuM is SO smart! She is a VERY intelligent woman.
35. MuM is the only person on the planet that I know who can smile with the corners of her mouth pointed down. It's true. You have to see it to know what I'm talking about.
36. My MuM is one tough cookie.
37. My MuM is a very generous and giving person.
38. When she sets her mind to something, she's the most determined person that I know.
39. MuM has the most amazing gift of hospitality. It really can't be described - you're going to have to go to Utah and visit her to experience it.
40. MuM knows things. And she doesn't believe in quantum physics when it comes to matters of the heart.
41. My MuM is very selfless.
42. It doesn't matter if I made a finger painting, wrote a poem, or was taking my knocks on the soccer field - MuM has always been my biggest fan (OK, she's tied for first with DadE)
43. MuM's style is always dead on. She is so classic, but with her own edge. I love it.
44. MuM looks hotter turning 25 this time around than the last time she turned 25. Like I said - she's aged so wonderfully.
45. I LOVE that all her vices are my vices (no coincidence, I'm sure): wine, bubbly, margaritas, black coffee, and a great bargain on shoes ;)
46. MuM is full of forgiveness, which is awesome, because I never ended up in jail or anything, but I gave her my fair share of grief and 'tude over the years.
47. She is my inspiration in running and life.
48. Every single decade of my MuM's life is worth celebrating! I shall be drinking bubbly tonight in honor of you, MuM!
49. There has never been a single day, minute, or second in my life that I have not felt loved my mom.
50. Everything I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother.

Happy Amazing 50th Birthday MuM!

Love,
xoxoxo
your very, very grateful daughter

4 comments:

  1. You are a truly awesome daughter! Wish you were here to help her celebrate. We will do our level best to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you should have put a disclaimer on this..Get kleenex before reading this blog. Ash, you are amazing and it is no surprise because you are of course your mother's daughter!! Love you guys so much. XXOO (I hope I used that apostrophe correctly!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I hope Karenna & I will be as close someday as adults as you & your mom are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash - I told your mom I wasn't going to read this until I got home so I could cry by myself .. I get so ugly when I have to cry - but she had printed a copy and when everyone went to the point for the sunset I did read it - really fast so it wouldn't get to me so bad - I did have to use half the leftover napkins but I recovered sufficiently by the time I got to the 'beach'... what a wonderful tribute to your wonderful mom ... it was a great party - wish you could have been here - she loved her painting

    ReplyDelete