Wednesday, July 14, 2010

From The Top To The Bottom (& Not Even Mad About It)

Tuesday
It was glorious. It was perfect. It was overcast, and sometimes it sprinkled a little bit. The Army fat boys were out there toiling away and I relished every time I flew by them (a little mean, I know, but my competitive edge took over. I don't care who you are - it's fun to pass people and you know it.)

After a 1 mile warm-up, yours truly ran 8x800 ALL UNDER OR RIGHT AT 3:30!!! No lie, it was epic. And amazing. And it got me thinking to myself, "Self, you always tear up the track when you take a week off of it. Maybe you should only do your dreaded 800s every other week?" Well, I think that was a pretty darn good plan. So, I'm going to need to start adventuring to other types of speed workouts to fill in my gaps every other Tuesday. I was so thrilled with myself for my little epiphany. Then I did a 1 mile cool-down. All in all, that means that I ran 6 miles and 4 of them at a 7:00/mile pace. Booyah. (Granted, there was a 2 minute rest between each 800, but nevermind that). I made the track my b*tch.

And then there was today...

Wednesday
My planned 7-8 miler quickly dissolved into a nice 30 minute yog. But you know what? I'm not even mad about it. I had a grueling workout yesterday and I dominated, so I know that it's not for lack of physical ability that I crapped out today. It was hot! And my foot started cramping really bad! And I didn't have to take it!....really, it doesn't matter.

Now, this is a revelation in and of itself. A month ago, I'd be sitting here pouting because I had failed, FAILED I tell you! Because really, if I have that much trouble with 7 miles, how can I possibly run 26.2?! This would inevitably lead to a downward spiral of self-degradation and loathing. But something occured to me after my crappy week last week -

I still have 5 months to train!!!

If I only had 3, I bet I could still get myself to at least the point where I know I could finish the stupid race. Furthermore, it's important to listen to my body. Yesterday my bod said "Run like the wind, Ash! You are the fastest woman alive!!!" Today it said, "FU!!! Cut it out, go eat some trail mix, and run up a big hill tomorrow"

And both times, I said, "Ok, bod. You've done me well so far." And I want to make sure it continues to do so ;)

2 comments:

  1. Run Ashleigh run! Remember you have the female record at Air Crew school and very nearly beat all the the boys there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are nuts.. not a bad thing.. Just nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete